Sunday, November 22, 2015

Hairy conundrums

The floor was a who's who of the city. Hair congregated on the tiles like broken helix-es. End to end, the salon had the potential for a genetic hybrid. DNA was thrown away like carbon paper in diamond days before technology came about and made carbon dating a passe endeavor. I looked down from my swivel seat, dressed to the hilt in my geneticist smock I left a trail of fingerprints—follicle growths that knew my name, my soul, my being.

No one ever thinks of hair restoration, of wigs and piecemeal toupees and the genetic material off the top of your head. The world is shrunk each time a wig is bought or a faster iPhone comes one the market. Messages encrypt in the palms of hands or on the tops of heads like raindrops. Everyone knows everyone, or at least has the potential to know them. Usually they don't, and society tugs and wars itself like a punch-drunk acrobat. No one's the anchor and no one ever lifts a hat. Life is out there spinning at 9 hundred miles an hour and people rarely slow it down to see who's there, perhaps closer than they appear.

But I thought of what I left behind that day. The deoxyribonucleic acid was firmament; a testament that I tipped my hat—and the salon—by the way. I watched my Ps (purines) As (adenine) and Gs (guanine) amass on the raised matted floor that gave my encephalitic Delilah some height. She cleaned me up well per my instructions. And then it hit me—with the proper inclination, the right derisive tools, she could breed a new me—or any head she's had the pleasure to know.

Oddballs

They're out there in salon panels, tribunals of 8 balls, biding time on earth waiting for rings to be check mated. To narrow the odds and grab the sods of grass to pull—to tug and hope it does not war back. I walked out of that hair salon to meet a distant relation, someone who'd been miles from me my whole life. But people get further away as technology brings them to the door, turn by turn, the global positioning situates things so no one has to meet anyone. The trite gripe that men don't ask directions is over—they won—and no one needs to slow down anything.

A gridlock

People from professions find each other and work the gross into net. Thy chat and write to one another across the world. However they may not find each other in the same city or bar when actual human interaction is tried. It has happened to me like that. Objects the closest do not always meet. But in my case, they did, and I couldn't be happier. I don't own an iPhone, although I did find people on Facebook from my home PC. But if I were caught up in texting and googling on the run would my curiosity be the same?

Patchwork

After meeting my other half, I feel my life is complete. Unanswered strands of DNA—like in the salon—fell into place. I yam what I yam, and now I know why that I yam. I know why I vote like I vote or believe like I believe. I know why I write and use language to bite at times. But, in the end, it can all be traced back to that raised salon mat on which your chair swiveled but your head sat straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment