Saturday, June 11, 2016

Poet's log: star date June 11, 1969

Pedantics of old neighborhoods

by Michael Amram

Time's abutments work
once in a lifetime
they're the scenes of
childhood, they're
the foundations for
senility

hours run long on a
psychiatrist's couch
with residue of
brain-pan drips
screaming down
halls with Freudian
slips for free

When old neighborhoods
stop telling you the way
thing were, where curbs
where black like the streets
they gullied to lip

And a smooth slope was
there to get out of the street
before texting and friends
used their voices to cross
over to meet

They're cracks between a
therapist's couch—gaps in
a generation hours won't
close—when it's spent like
gas station gum

the bonus chew that fell
apart with baseball cards
like the hours in winter
trudging up Oak Grove
hill for fun. . .

for momentary lapse
to run in Phy Ed. To
round us—prepare us
like “Lord of the Ring”
castaways

So I'd remember the
salad days, the times when
anything was rare—and
accepted—because no one
seemed to care

in the old neighborhood
it was dog eat dog and
I saw the fight, my first
close up of aggression
people must weigh

the bare emotion was
dismal, it left me with
a weakness for humanity
that grows ears that hear
no evil to say

I'm with my shrink—in my
happy place but my hour's
up and I prattle on like a
little kid who's lost his
memory's face





No comments:

Post a Comment